What is Mechanical Engineering :
Mechanical Engineering is one of the oldest branch of engineering that basically deals with machines.Every Science Students wants to know How to Become a Mechanical Engineer.There are lots of good Mechanical engineering jobs in India.A machine can be anything ranging from a simple wheel cart to luxury sports cars, from simple switch to space invading rocket.It is responsible for the design, manufacturing, production, analysis, operation and maintenance of all mechanical systems.It works on the principles of motion, energy and force.Anything that has motion falls into the territory of mechanical engineering.It deals with the core concepts of physics such as thermodynamics, kinematics, fluid mechanics, robotics, electricity, material science, structural analysis etc.Mechanical engineering describes the interaction between bodies and forces i.e the influence of force on different bodies and structures.It is all about creating devices and systems to help mankind.It is a very creative field through which you can make a difference to the society.This field is so broad and diverse that you can ask different mechanical engineers about their job and get absolutely different answers.Today’s fast progressing world depends a lot on machines for its very existence and hence its importance increases even more.Almost every product that we use today has been touched in some way by mechanical engineering.A mechanical engineer turns a product from an idea into reality.On the basis of field mechanical engineering can be roughly divided into four parts i.e Aerospace engineering, Biomedical engieering, Bio-mechanical engineering and automotive engineering.
What does a Mechanical Engineer do?
A mechanical engineer combines the core concepts of physics along with computer aided designs and his creativity to create something new and innovative to meet the demands of society.They provide the solution for all types of mechanical problems.they play a very important role in various industries such as automotive industry, aerospace and aircraft industry, industrial machinery, manufacturing industry etc.They work on all types of engines, power plant equipment and heating and cooling systems.They are not only responsible for designing but also proper functioning, maintenance and safety of a mechanical system.A mechanical engineer may perform some of the following duties:
- Project management
- Designing, developing and testing new prototypes
- Analyzing and solving various mechanical problems
- Maintenance of a mechanical system
- Monitoring plants and systems
- Creating project specifications
- Presentations and report writing
Must Read : Candidate can do Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from polytechnic
Academic programs in Mechanical Engineering Colleges:
It is a four year long undergraduate program, divided into eight semesters. Duration of each semester is about six months.Academic sessions include both theory and practical sessions. Workshops are also arranged in order to enhance the knowledge and skill of students.Here are some of the topics that one has to study while pursuing a degree in agriculture:
- Mechanics of Solids
- Engineering Graphics
- Automobile Engineering
- Elements of Mechanical Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
- CAD (Computer Aided Design)
- Materials Engineering,
- Dynamics of Machines
- Product Design
- Turbo machinery and Combustion Systems
- Kinematics of Machines
- Fuels, combustion, Internal combustion engine
The eligibility requirement to become an Mechanical Engineer :
What it takes to become an Mechanical Engineer?
Like other engineering branches the eligibility criteria for mechanical engineering is that a candidate must have cleared his/her class 12th examination in science stream with PCM (Physics Chemistry Maths) as main subjects.
An aggregate of at least 50% in these subjects is commonly required in most colleges to apply for this course.Along with this selection is also made through various state and national level entrance exams.
Academic Paths of Mechanical engineering :
- Diploma courses in Polytechnic Institutes of 3 years duration.
- UG courses in B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree of 4 years duration.
- PG courses in M.Tech (Master of Technology) degree of 2 years duration.
How to become a Mechanical Engineer and career path:
STEP 1-Take ENTRANCE TEST:
One must also clear state or national level entrance exams for engineering like
AIEEE (All India Engineering Entrance Exams)
JEE Main (Joint Entrance Exam Main)
AICET (All India Common Entrance Test) etc.
Admissions are made on the basis of ranks scored in such entrance tests
STEP 2- Get a Bachelor degree (B.Tech in mechanical engineering) in civil engineering from a good college
STEP 3–GET CERTIFIED (Optional) to boost your career.It is not required for entry level however to enhance your career you can become licensed.Such engineers are called as Professional Engineers (PEs).To become a Professional engineer one has to clear fundamental engineering exam.
If candidate is not able to do Degree in Engineering then they can Get a Diploma in mechanical engineering from a Goverment Polytechnics.The minimum eligibility for diploma in engineering is that a candidate must have cleared his/her class 10th exams with a minimum of 50%.
Entrance Exams for a Mechanical Engineer:
Entrance Examination for B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering :-
IIT JEE: IIT Joint Entrance Examination.
AIEEE: All India Engineering Entrance Examination.
NIT: National Institute of Technology.
AICET: All India Common Entrance Test.
AMIE: Associate Membership of Institutions of Engineers.
BITSAT: Birla Institute of Technology and Science examination.
JNU: Jawaharlal Nehru University Engineering Entrance Exam.
DCE CEE: Delhi College of Engineering Combined Entrance Exam.
VITEEE: Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance.
BIHER: Bharath University Engineering Entrance Exam.
AMIETE: Associate Membership of Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers.
M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering :-
If you want to apply for M.tech in Mechanical Engineering then you should pass Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering with Mathematics / Physics / Computer Science from recognized university.
Entrance Examination for M.tech in Civil Engineering :-
- PGECET: Post- Graduation Engineering Common Entrance Test.
- GATE :- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
- G.G.S.I.P.U. Engineering C.E.T. Entrance Examination
- S.R.M.E.E.E. or S.R.M. Engineering Entrance Examination
- Post-Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test (PGECET)
- TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test)
Top Mechanical Engineering Schools/Colleges in India
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay)
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Guwahati)
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IIT Roorkee)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IIT Kanpur)
- Indian Institute of Technology – Banaras Hindu University (IIT-BHU)
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Karnataka
- Thapar University
- PEC University of Technology
- Birla Institute of Technology
- Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering – Tamil Nadu
- College of Engineering Pune
- Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology
- R.V.College of Engineering
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
- National Institute of Engineering, Mysore
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal (NIT, Warangal)
- Amrita Institute of Technology and Sciences – Tamil Nadu
- Shri Ramdeobaba College of Engineering and Management
- P.E.S. College of Engineering
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
- SASTRA University
- Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT)
- BMS College of Engineering
- Indian School of Mines (ISM)
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST)
- PSG College of Technology (PSGTECH)
- Dr B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar (NITJ)
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT)
Career Prospects in Mechanical Engineering
The diversity in mechanical engineering opens the doors for various carrier options for the students.The demand of this field is ever increasing in various industries so there is no shortage of jobs for a mechanical engineer.Growth rate is also expected to be faster as compared to some other fields.They can be found in almost every field.A mechanical engineer can find jobs in various sectors such as automobile where they can work on its design, chassis, engine, censors etc, manufacturing, aerospace, biotechnology, automation, nanotechnology, steel plants, space and research institutes,railways, chemical power plants, aeronautical, agricultural,materials and metals industry,construction, chemicals,oil and gas industries etc.They can also grab jobs in government sectors such as defense, telegraph, PWD etc.Researchers in this field are highly paid.Here are some of different job posts an agriculture engineer can relate to
- Automotive Engineer
- Aviation/Aerospace Project Engineer
- Construction Project Engineer
- Manufacturing Plant Manager
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Maintenance engineer
- Control and instrumentation engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Technical Account Executive
- Chemical Operator/ Technician
- Supervisors (Research & Development)
- Tool designer
Mechanical Engineering jobs
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Ford Motor Company
- Hindustan Motors Ltd
- Royal Enfield Ltd
- TATA Motors
- Jindal Steel
- Steel Authority of India Limited(SAIL)
- Axles India Ltd
- Hyundai Motors India Ltd
- Ashok Leyland Ltd, Ennore
- ONGC Ltd
- Mahendra & Mahendra group
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd
Salary Packages after Mechanical Engineering Courses:
Mechanical engineers are often well paid as compared to some other fields.A fresher graduate in mechanical engineering can easily expect an average salary between Rs. 10,000- Rs. 20,000 per month depending upon the post he/she is applying for.If you have earned your degree from a reputed college and get job through campus placement then you can get even better salary package.Highly skilled and experienced engineers can easily earn high salary packages between Rs 20,00,000- Rs.30,00,000 per year.
A diploma holder can expect starting salary between Rs. 8000- Rs 12000 per month.
- B.Tech. in Electronics and Tele Communications Engineering – Degree, Syllabus, Eligibility
- How to Become a Civil Engineer after 12th class
- Information of Agricultural Engineering – Eligibility,syllabus
- Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering – Learn About Degree, Syllabus, Eligibility
- Types of Engineering – Courses list – Career in Engineering and Colleges